ENROPE - European Network for Junior Researchers in the Field of Plurilingualism and Education
ENROPE is an international, cooperative project aiming to provide high-quality qualification and networking structures for professional development for junior researchers in the field of language education and plurilingualism. The ENROPE project works at the interface of language education research and language teaching. ENROPE promotes inquiry-based and research-related classroom development that is sensitive to the linguistic ecology of classrooms and their environments.
Research theme: Multilingualism and Language learning
Duration: 01/09/2018 - 31/08/2021
Coordinating partner: Humboldt Universität, Berlin, Germany
Mercator Staff: Inge Heslinga, Cor van der Meer, Anna Fardau Schukking
Funding: Erasmus+ Programme - KA 203 - Strategic Partnerships for higher education
Collaboration with: Goethe-Universität Frankfurt (DE), Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, (DE), İstanbul Üniversitesi-Cerrahpaşa (TR), Tallinna Ülikool (EE), University of Exeter (UK), Universitat Ramon Llull Barcelona (ES), Universität Siegen (DE), Université Sorbonne Nouvelle Paris 3 (FR).
ENROPE - European Network for Junior Researchers in the Field of Plurilingualism and Education - is an international, cooperative project aiming to provide high-quality qualification and networking structures for professional development for junior researchers in the field of language education and plurilingualism.
Therefore, the ENROPE project will establish a sustainable network for junior researchers in foreign language education and aim for the development of strong and reflected professional identities. As part of this aim, ENROPE will create an Intensive Study Programme (ISP), consisting of three annual training weeks linked and enhanced through regular online training phases. The ISP will provide junior researchers with opportunities for transborder collaboration and professional qualification, based on a pedagogical agenda of experiential learning and reflection.
In sum, ENROPE will:
- improve the academic qualification of young researchers in the field of multi-/plurilingualism and education by providing tools for professional exchange and experiential learning in multilingual contexts,
- foster the professional development of young researchers by providing clearly structured opportunities for critical reflection and self-assessment for young researchers,
- increase the depth of doctoral supervision by engaging both supervisors and young researchers in an open-ended dialogue on the role and function of professional identities in multi-/plurilingual educational research,
- improve the quality of doctoral programmes in our field by extending the scope of academic experience beyond the local university/research centres and by building professional links with similar institutions and experts across national and linguistic borders,
- improve the quality of collaboration among participating researchers by creating a sense of community,
- strengthen structures for democratic citizenship in academic research by fostering active involvement and autonomy of junior researchers.
In order to establish a sustainable inter- and transdisciplinary environment for academic exchange and reflection, ENROPE will produce:
1) An Online Platform offering versatile spaces and tools for collaboration, e-learning and networking in the context of multi- and plurilingualism.
2) An embedded E-Portfolio will function as an empowering tool for researchers in language education and language educators alike to engage in meaningful professional reflection that reaches beyond the instrumental skills of the academic disciplines.
3) ENROPE’s key activities and products will be underpinned by a a Qualification Handbook and thus be open for adaptation in other educational fields affected directly or indirectly by multi- and plurilingual ecologies.
Four events will be organised in four different countries (France, Estonia, Turkey, Germany) in order to disseminate the project’s results to a wide and diverse external audience. Possible target groups are teachers, teacher educators, policy-makers, or academics from affiliated disciplines.
The Multiplier Event dates (with reservation):
21-11-2019, Paris, France
24-01-2020, Tallinn, Estonia
20-10-2020, Istanbul, Turkey
10-06-2021, Siegen, Germany