This is the fifth Expert seminar organised jointly by the Basque Ministry of Education and the Mercator Research Centre as a part of the multi-annual Added Value Project. The theme and central focus of this year's seminar is: “Cultural Education and Civil Society: How can Languages contribute?”
Sub themes are:
- Intercultural education as an instrument for sustainable linguistic diversity and strengthening social cohesion
- Immigrants and expectations – assimilation or maintenance
- Linguistic identity – a vitally important anchor in a globalising world
- Health care – an area crucial to language maintenance
- Cultural awareness and the role of social media
- Inter-generational transmission of languages – the role of formal and non-formal education.
- CLIL and lesser-used languages – language fulfilling real communicative needs.
The Added Value Project is a comparative study of the Basque Autonomous Community and the province of Fryslân. It aims at:
1) analyzing bilingualism and multilingualism as a resource for the individual and society
2) analyzing bilingualism and multilingualism as a resource at school
Besides the invited speakers there is a limited possibility for extra participants and speakers. If you are interested please let us know by e-mail, including the following details: Full name and title; Academic or professional affiliation; Email address; (optional) Title of the presentation.