COMBI “Communication competences for migrants and disadvantaged background learners in bilingual work environments”
The goals of COMBI project are to develop innovative and inclusive/systemic practices and methods focused on acquiring communication competences in the languages required in the workplace. It takes into consideration the multilingual reality of European regions. The aim of the method is not to acquire full competences in two or more languages, but to make sure that the regional language is taken into consideration as far as it fulfils language requirements in the workplace.
Multilingualism and Language learning
Mercator European Research Centre
Jorrit Huizinga, Cor van der Meer
DG Education and Culture – Erasmus+ Programme, KA2 Strategic Partnerships for Adult Education
The output of the COMBI project will consist of:
- A Needs Analysis, already available for download on the COMBI website, composed of two parts:
- A review of the available literature on the use of minority languages in the health care sector,
- Results from a survey held by COMBI among 216 participants across the 5 regions of the COMBI partners. The survey aims to uncover what language skills migrants need, and to fill in information gaps left after the review of the literature.
- A Teacher Trainer Toolkit, based on the results of the Needs Analysis. In February and March the Toolkit was piloted with teachers from the regions of the COMBI partners. Once finished, the Toolkit will be freely available at Openlearning.com
- A set of seven Modules that offers concrete courses based on the Teacher Trainer Toolkit.
- Guidelines and Good Practices: a roadmap on Best Practices in the field of multilingual workplaces
Once an Intellectual Output is finished, it is showcased on one of the COMBI Multiplyer Events.
COMBI Multiplyer Events
To disseminate COMBI's goals, activities and products, the partners organize four Multiplier Events, to which COMBI's stakeholders will be invited:
- The first Multiplier Events took place on June 7 and 8 2017, in Donostia / San Sebastian, Spain. During this event, the work done by COMBI and good practices from all over Europe (with a certain focus on the Basque Country, due to the location of the meeting) were shared.
- The second Multiplier Event will take place in June 2018, in Palermo, Italy.
- More information on the last multiplier events will be posted in due time.
COMBI has its own website on www.combiproject.eu. In addition COMBI is active on social media:
Six times during the project, the COMBI will publish a newsletter with updates about its activities and products. You can register for this newsletter on the COMBI website. The newsletter can also be downloaded here: