Vacancy: Postdoc researcher Multilingualism and Language Learning
32 hours / 0.842 fte
The Fryske Akademy is a multidisciplinary institution for humanities and social sciences. The Fryske Akademy focuses on scientific research into the Frisian language, multilingualism and regional history. As such, the Akademy carries out fundamental and innovative research with direct social utility. The Akademy provides innovative scientific prestations and develops digital research methods and collections, putting the Frisian case in the regional, national and international spotlight while working together with various national and international institutions.
The Mercator European Research Centre for Multilingualism and Language Learning is part of the Fryske Akademy and member of several international academic networks. Mercator is a platform for minority languages in Europe and focuses on knowledge gaining, dissemination and application by doing research, undertaking various activities and carrying out projects. The Fryske Akademy is affiliated with the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW) in Amsterdam.
At the Mercator European Research Centre, a position is open for a
Postdoc researcher Multilingualism and Language Learning
32 hours / 0.842 fte
The successful candidate will work closely together with other researchers and research assistants of the Mercator Research Centre, and carry out and set up research within the Mercator research fields, such as multilingualism, new technologies, social media, language in healthcare, migration, language policy, language documentation, education and language learning.
- Scientific research, complementing the current projects in the field of multilingualism, smaller languages, education and language learning;
- Publish research results;
- Coordinate connecting research projects and monitoring the progress of own research;
- Present results at (international) scientific meetings and conferences;
- Initiate new research projects and apply for European grants;
- Contribute to the valorization of new research results.
- PhD in a subject relevant to the research fields;
- Track-record of scientific publications in this area;
- Demonstrate excellent writing- and communication skills;
- Excellent English and willingness to learn the Frisian language;
- Experience with working on a scientific project and in a team;
- Open eye for co-operation in related projects in the Fryske Akademy and other institutes;
- Highly motivated and showing initiatives to expand your scientific network.
Terms of employment
We offer an employment contract starting as soon as possible, until the 31st of december 2020. The gross monthly salary amounts a maximum of € 4.852,- depending on your relevant experience and based on a full-time working week of 38 hours (UFO profile of researcher 3, scale 11). This salary excludes holiday payment and an end-of-year bonus. The terms of employment are in accordance with the collective labour agreement of Dutch universities (cao NU).
Additionally, we offer great research facilities in a stimulating environment. The work place will be at the Fryske Akademy in Leeuwarden, the Netherlands.
For more information about this position, please contact drs. Cor van der Meer, projectmanager for Mercator. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org – tel.: (0031) (0)58 2343063.
You can send your application and résumé before the 28th of January 2019 to Jettina Valk, HR-advisor: email@example.com; refering to ‘researcher Mercator’.