Click here to download the Abstracts -document.
Click here to download the Proceedings -document.
Click here to download the Unesco Resolution -document.
Click here to download the Report -document.
Click here to see the photos.
Link to Foundation for Endangered Languages website.
Xllth conference of the foundation for Endangered Languages
Download the UNESCO resolution XIIth FEL-conference
The Foundation for Endangered Languages (FEL) exists to support, enable and assist the documentation, protection and promotion of endangered languages. One of the possibilities to reach this is to bring specialists together during conferences, which have been held every year since 1996, most recently in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (2007), Mysore, India (2006), Stellenbosch, South Africa (2005) and Barcelona, Spain.
In September 2008 the FEL will organise its Twelfth Conference in the Netherlands in association with the Mercator European Research Centre on Multilingualism and Language Learning and the Fryske Akademy. Theme of the conference will be Endangered Languages and Language Learning. The conference will be organised and sponsored in the framework of the jubilee program KNAW 200. In 2008 the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW) exits 200 years. This will be celebrated with a large number of (scientific) activities throughout the year. These activities take place in the context of the general topic "The Magic of Sciences".
The Conference takes place from 24 – 27 September in the conference centre of the Fryske Akademy, It Aljemint. The United Nations’ Year of the Languages will be celebrated in 2008. On the 26th of September 2008 it is the annual European Language Day and these two facts will be taken into account during the conference.
1) Language learning in general:
- Successful multilingual regions with endangered languages
- Language learning processes and language transmission in small communities
- Language transmission outside formal educational settings (pre-school facilities, cultural settings, distant learning facilities)
2) Language learning in an educational context:
- Promoting linguistic diversity through multilingual education and teacher training programs
- Language teaching in small indigenous or migrant communities
- Potential of teaching methods for language revitalisation
- Innovation in language learning and teaching strategies
- Case studies on language immersion in endangered language communities
- The use of electronic tools for language teaching and maintenance